30 hours – Temporary until 31st August 2018 – Term Time Only Including Inset Days .Please Click Here For More Details
Welcome To Year 5
End of Year Expectations Year 5
Information for parents and carers on the end of year expectations for children in our school. The staff have identified these expectations as being the minimum requirements your child must meet in order to ensure continued progress throughout the following year.
All the objectives will be worked on throughout the year and will be the focus of direct teaching. Any extra support you can provide in helping your children to achieve these is greatly valued.
- Summarises main points of an argument or discussion within their reading & makes up own mind about issue/s.
- Can compare between two texts.
- Appreciates that people use bias in persuasive writing.
- Appreciates how two people may have a different view on the same event.
- Draw inferences and justify with evidence from the text.
- Varies voice for direct or indirect speech.
- Recognise: clauses within sentences
- Uses more than one source when carrying out research.
- Add phrases to make sentences more precise & detailed.
- Use range of sentence openers – judging the impact or effect needed.
- Begin to adapt sentence structure to text type.
- Use pronouns to avoid repetition.
- Use commas to clarify meaning or avoid ambiguity.
- Link clauses in sentences using a range of subordinating & coordinating conjunctions.
- Use verb phrases to create subtle differences (e.g. she began to run).
- Count forwards & backward with positive & negative numbers through zero.
- Count forwards/backwards in steps of powers of 10 for any given number up to 000000.
- Compare & order numbers with 3 decimal places.
- Read Roman numerals to 1000.
- Identify all multiples & factors, including finding all factor pairs.
- Use known tables to derive other number facts.
- Recall prime numbers up to 19.
- Recognise place value of any number up to 1000000.
- Round any number up to 1000000 to the nearest 10, 100, 1000, 10000 or 100000.
- Round decimals with 2dp to nearest whole number & 1dp.
Add & subtract:
- Numbers with more than 4-digits using efficient written method (column).
- 4-digits by 1-digit/ 2-digit Divide:
- 4-digits by 1-digit Multiply & divide:
- Whole numbers & decimals by 10, 100 & 1000 Count up/down in thousandths.
- Recognise mixed numbers & fractions & convert from one to another.
- Multiply proper fractions by whole numbers.
- Solve time problems using timetables and converting between different units of me.
Parents & Carers
Parents can obtain more information about the curriculum by visiting the school and arranging a meeting with your child’s class teacher. We also hold regular curriculum coffee mornings and termly parent consultation days.